Ethan Lazarus, MD, FOMA
Denver Obesity Medicine / Weight Loss Doctor
Dr. Lazarus takes pride in maintaining his training at the highest level. In addition to regular course work in both Obesity Medicine and Family Medicine, Dr. Lazarus has a national reputation and regularly lectures to doctors throughout the U.S.
American Academy of Family Physicians
Board-Certified by the American Board of Family Medicine in 1999, re-certified in 2006, re-certified in 2016
American Board of Obesity Medicine
Board-Certified by the American Board of Obesity Medicine, 2012 – Present
American Medical Association (AMA)
Delegate for the Obesity Medicine Association, 2013 – Present
Obesity Medicine Association (OMA)
Fellow of the Obesity Medicine Association (F.O.M.A.)
Obesity Medicine Clinician of the Year, 2015
Peter G. Lindner Award, 2017
Dr. Vernon B. Astler Award for advancing the field of Bariatric Medicine, 2013.
Medical Doctorate, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 1992-1996
Internship, Family Medicine, John Peter Smith Hospital (JPS) in Ft. Worth TX, 1996-1997
Residency, Family Medicine, JPS, 1997-1999
Family Medicine Clinic, Littleton, CO, 1999-2003
Practiced the full range of Family Medicine, from pediatrics to geriatrics. Special emphasis on the management of chronic medical conditions, particularly Diabetes, but also hypertension, hyperlipidemia, heart disease, depression, and weight problems.
Clinical Nutrition Center, Denver, CO, 2003 – Present
Oversee all patients medically at CNC. While still maintaining full certification in Family Medicine, focusing mainly on obesity treatment, weight loss and weight-related medical issues.
Continuing Medical Education: Lectures by Dr. Lazarus
AMA (American Medical Association)
- Summer 2017: Current Concept in Obesity Medicine
OMA (Obesity Medicine Association):
- Fall 2017: Diet and Nutrition, Obesity Medicine Board Review Course
- Fall 2016: Diet and Nutrition, Obesity Medicine Board Review Course
- Spring 2016: “Practical Pharmacotherapy for the treatment of obesity”, also Diet and Nutrition for the Obesity Medicine board review course
- Spring 2015: “Eat More, Exercise Less: The key to sustainable weight loss.”
- Spring 2015: Bariatric business models
- Fall 2014: Taught Nutrition topic in the Obesity Medicine Review Course
- Spring 2014: Taught 2 topics in the Obesity Medicine Review Course AND gave a workshop to physicians on how to educate, motivate and empower patients in their weight loss efforts.
- Fall 2013: Taught 2 topics in the Obesity Medicine Review Course AND gave a workshop to physicians on how to establish a practice in the medical community.
- Spring 2013 : Taught 2 topics in the Obesity Medicine Review Course AND gave a joint talk with Dr. Jeremy A. Lazarus, President of the American Medical Association (AMA)
- Fall 2012: Helped teach Obesity Medicine Review Course
- Swedish Hospital Grand Rounds, 2017: Current Concept in Obesity Medicine
- Dannemiller Obesity Conference 2015: Practical Pharmacotherapy and ABOM board prep
- Dannemiller Obesity Conference 2015: Appetite Regulation
- Dannemiller Obesity Conference 2015: Preparing for the American Board of Obesity Medicine certification
- Swedish Medical Center 2015: Grand rounds – appetite regulation
- Dannemiller Obesity Conference 2014: Marketing a bariatric practice
- Colorado Academy of Family Physicians: Spring 2013: Taught Family Doctors how to approach obesity as a medical condition with respect, and how to perform an obesity assessment and form a treatment plan.
- “The Medical Management of Obesity” PHP – 2 lectures June 2013, and SMPC, June 2013.
- “The Medical Management of Obesity” CAFP April 2013, Keystone, CO
- “Obesity: Why Telling an Individual to Eat Less, Exercise More is NOT an Effective Treatment Strategy” Rose Hospital Grand Rounds, October 2012
- “Obesity: Why Telling an Individual to Eat Less, Exercise More is NOT an Effective Treatment Strategy” Skyridge Hospital Grand Rounds, February 2012
- “Obesity and the Metabolic Syndrome” Swedish Hospital CME Course, 2009
- “The Emerging Role of the Obesity Specialist” Swedish Hospital CME Course, 2009
- “Medically-Supervised Weight Loss” Arapahoe Medical Society, 2005
- The Obesity Society Scientific Meeting, 2010
- American Academy of Family Medicine Scientific Assembly, 2010
- Harvard Obesity Course, 2008, “Practical Approaches to the Treatment of Obesity”
- Harvard Obesity Course, 2005, “Practical Approaches to the Treatment of Obesity”
- American Society of Bariatric Physicians, 2003
- American Society of Bariatric Physicians, 2004
- American Society of Bariatric Physicians, 2006
- American Society of Bariatric Physicians, 2011
- American Society of Bariatric Physicians, 2012
- American Society of Bariatric Physicians, 2013
- American Society of Bariatric Physicians, 2014
- Dannemiller, 2014, Philadelphia (taught a course to physicians)
- American Academy of Family Physicians Board Review Course, 2004
- Promoting Childhood Fitness, Copper Mountain, 2005
Obesity Medicine Association
The Obesity Society