Healthier, Smarter, Holiday Eating-Start the New Year RightPosted: Dec 13 in Health And Wellness by Staff
The holidays can be an eating disaster if you are not pre-planning and being careful to take care of yourself. The spirit of the holiday can lead to over-consumption of added sugars, saturated fat, sodium and alcohol. Thanks to the abundance of candy, pastries, cookies, high fat appetizers & eggnog (just to name a few), nutritious choices get squeezed out.
Holiday Smart Strategies:
- Eat Small Portions
- Prepare a GOOD breakfast daily-never skip meals
- Eat slowly-try to be the last one to finish
- Never eat a high calorie sweet or salty food alone-eat with the meal
- Two bite rule-try tastes so you are not feeling deprived
- WATER! Stay hydrated!
- Fiber can contribute to a feeling of fullness
- Carry Snacks-Protein bars, Turkey jerky, Fruit
- EXERCISE! Pre-plan a time that will work for YOU!
- Positive Talk….Praise yourself when you pass by high calorie foods!!!
- Get 7 hours of SLEEP
- Be aware of extra calories-for example…
- Gin and tonic
- ½ cup mashed potatoes
- Dinner roll
- Piece of fudge
Finally, try to tell yourself “How Healthy Can I Make This Day?” This puts your mind in a healthier mind set. Enjoy the Holidays!!!