Don’t gain the “Quarantine Fifteen”Posted: Mar 25 in Weight loss, Weight Management Strategies by Dr. Lazarus
Here in Denver (including Arapahoe, Douglas, Littleton, Bolder and other counties) weight loss patients are all having to self-quarantine to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The gyms are closed and it is harder to get healthy options (let alone toilet paper) at grocery stores.
What are people who have successfully lost weight to do to prevent gaining the “Quarantine 15?”
Here are 10 tips to help you stay on track with your weight loss goals:
- Stay on a schedule – bed time, wake up time, meal time, work time, physical activity time. Same schedule every day!
- Have a plan – and follow it! If you need help figuring out your plan, we are available for tele-health visits!
- Don’t skip your weight loss medication. Stopping weight loss medication can compound the problems.
- Don’t skip your meal replacements – if you have been using meal replacements to help with weight loss, don’t stop!
- Find safe physical activities – the most successful people on the national weight loss registry that successfully keep weight off do so by walking. That is the main exercise! Shoot for 60+ minutes / day (with a safe physical distance).
- Find stress-reducing activities – what do you love to do? Music? Art? Yoga? Meditation? Reading? What better time to enjoy your hobby, or to learn a new one!
- Talk to people! To prevent a sense of social isolation, pick up the phone and talk to a friend, family or loved one every day.
- Drink water – an 8 ounce glass before breakfast, lunch and dinner has the best evidence for helping with weight control.
- Journal – our most successful patients fill out a food journal during their more stressful times. It helps establish point #1, above.
- Remember that your health matters! Don’t sacrifice your health to avoid getting the coronavirus! Use this time to get as healthy – physically and mentally as possible. The “Quarantine 15” could go either way!!!