Summer Weight Management TipsPosted: Jul 02 in Weight Management Strategies by Ethan Lazarus
1) 1. Salad dinners – toss greens and veggies with tuna, chicken, or salmon. Add dried fruit or grapes, pine nuts, just a light touch of dressing, and dinner is served.
2) 2. For a refreshing summer drink, try 1/3 cup grape juice with 12 oz. sparkling water. It’s a healthier alternative to soda and offers variety to your daily water intake.
3) 3. Go to bed a little earlier to feel rested in the morning. Adequate sleep is essential to healthy weight management.
4) 4. Keep a pitcher of decaf iced tea in the fridge. Grow some mint under your water faucet in the yard and enjoy mint tea anytime all summer.
5) 5. Take advantage of the grill and summer fruits and vegetables for quick, simple meals. Colorful combination ideas: red, yellow and green bell peppers, red onions, zucchini and summer squash or tomatoes, broccoli and onions. Mix with ¼ c. fat free salad dressing or marinade of choice. Fold double layer aluminum foil, spread vegetables over foil, cover with another piece and fold edges to seal. Grill over low heat 20 minutes or until done, turn halfway through.
6) 6. Take advantage of the great weather early in the morning and get out and do something active outdoors – walking, biking, swimming, or even tennis, golf, canoeing, and outdoor exercise classes.
7) 7. Participate in a local 5 or 10K walk. Ask a family member or friend to join you.
8) 8. Summer fruits are abundant and make the perfect dessert after a meal.
9) 9. Try to get your food shopping done without helpers by going in the evening or early morning when Dad or a babysitter might be available.
10) 10. Ways to stay active when you’re busy:
a. If your kids are involved in team sports, use their practice time to walk or jog around the field or pool, do resistance exercises at the playground (pull-ups, chin-ups, squats, standing pushups, or take your hand weights).
b. When hosting out of town guests, looking for new activities, or trying to keep the kids busy, plan active entertainment:
i. hiking numerous parks around metro area or mountains
ii. walking tour of downtown Denver, Cherry Creek, etc.
iii. Biking or mountain biking: Highline Canal, Platte River, Chatfield, Cherry Creek Reservoir, Waterton Canyon
iv. Paddle sea kayaks around local or mountain lakes
v. Nature tours at Roxborough Park and S. Platte River park (behind Aspen Grove)
vi. Disc Golf at mountain resorts – call ski areas for more information
vii. Theme Parks, Water Parks, Zoos
viii. Golf – walk the course instead of using a cart
11) 11. Build a better BBQ by serving marinated portobello mushroom "burgers" with lettuce, roasted red peppers, non-fat sour cream or mustard on whole grain buns – instead of traditional ground beef burgers. Choose baked chips and salsa in place of potato chips & dip. Replace potato or macaroni salad with grilled vegetables.&nb
sp; Enjoy frozen fruit bars instead of ice cream.
12) 12. When traveling, plan ahead to exercise self-control when making food and alcohol decisions. Also, try to book a hotel room with a refrigerator to store nutritious snacks and low calorie beverages. You will be glad to arrive home without gaining weight!
-CNC Registered Dietitians