10 Salty Foods you’d never know were saltyPosted: Jun 17 in Nutrition by Dr. Lazarus
Below is a list of 10 foods surprisingly high in sodium. Most of them don’t even taste salty!
- Kellogg’s Eggo Pancakes: You might want to Leggo this Eggo. At 580 mgs per 3 pancakes, you’re consuming quite a bit of sodium BEFORE you even add syrup!
- MorningStar Farms Chipotle Black Bean Burger: You would think that choosing a bean burger over a beef one would be healthy, but consume just one of these and you’re ingesting over 700 mgs of sodium (or a third of the daily recommended value)!
- Heinz Ketchup: When I say it’s only 190 mgs of sodium that might not seem high. But that’s only if you’re ingesting 1 measly teaspoon! Think about how much you slather on your meals… it all adds up quickly!
- V8 Spicy Hot Vegetable Juice: It’s vegetable juice, so by nature it’s good for you…right? While you might be getting 100% of your daily Vitamin C in an 8 oz. glass, you’ll also be consuming 20% of you daily sodium. 480 mgs.
- Green Giant Canned Mushrooms: Yeesh! ½ cup = 440 mgs. I thought vegetables were supposed to be good for you? Go with fresh or frozen instead!
- Ken’s Steakhouse Lite Italian Dressing: When you think of lite dressing, you might not realize that it’s not lite in everything! At 440 mgs per 2 tbsp., slathering your salad in this makes having your greens not so healthy anymore!
- DiGiorno for One Pepperoni Thin Crispy Crust: I’ll let the numbers speak for themselves on this pizza for one. 1 pizza = 1170 mgs. of sodium!
- Rice-a-Roni Spanish Rice: 1 cup (prepared) = 1250 mgs. Wow.
- Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Devil’s Food Cake: Who knew something so sweet could hold about 15% of your daily sodium (if you eat 1/12th of the cake that is). 380 mgs.
- Campbell’s Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup: ½ cup = 940 mgs. Or 80% of your daily sodium!
So what did we learn? Sodium can be hidden in places we didn’t even think of. Make sure to check out the labels before buying processed goods!