Plenity – a New Option for Weight LossPosted: Jan 30 in Medical Weight Loss News, Weight loss, Weight Loss Medication by Dr. Lazarus
Plenity is an aid for weight management in adults with a body mass index (BMI) of 25 to 40, when combined with a healthy eating and physical activity plan.
Dr. Lazarus and Heather Thomas, PA-C are excited to announce that they have been accepted to the early prescriber program for Plenity. Although Plenity is planning a release this summer (2021), Dr. Lazarus and Heather will each be able to prescribe early for a small number of patients (more information on this soon…)
Plenity is an FDA cleared weight management approach made from naturally derived ingredients including cellulose and citric acid. People take 3 capsules with 16 ounces of water 20-30 minutes before lunch and dinner. The capsules contain a superabsorbent hydrogel which expands in the stomach to 100 times their original weight promoting satiety and fullness. They later pass unabsorbed through normal bowel movements.
In their GLOWS study, ~6 out of 10 people treated with Plenity were responders, achieving 5% weight loss or more (an average weight loss of 10% or ~22 pounds), while 1 in 4 lost 10% or more (an average weight loss of 14% or ~30 pounds).
In this study, the was no difference in overall adverse events (AEs) vs. placebo. The most common AEs were abdominal pain, constipation, flatulence, infrequent bowel movements, abdominal distension, diarrhea, and nausea. 95% were mild or moderate, occurred within the first 3 months, and resolved within 2 weeks.*
So, what do we think? We are excited to be included in the early prescriber program, and to start to provide Plenity for our patients. People who prefer not to be on a medication may prefer Plenity as it is not systemically absorbed. Or, people who have struggled to lose weight and just need a different option may respond nicely. Plenity costs $98 for a 4 week supply, and is only available through a mail order pharmacy. Insurance coverage is not available for Plenity.
For more information, please check out Plenity’s web site here, or schedule a visit with Dr. Lazarus or Heather by calling us at (303) 750-9454. We look forward to hearing from you!
*Important Safety Information
- Plenity is contraindicated in patients who are pregnant or are allergic to cellulose, citric acid, sodium stearyl fumarate, gelatin, or titanium dioxide
- Plenity may alter the absorption of medications. Read Sections 6 and 8.3 of the Instructions for Use carefully
- Avoid use in patients with: esophageal anatomic anomalies, including webs, diverticuli, and rings; suspected strictures (such as patients with Crohn’s disease); and complications from prior gastrointestinal (GI) surgery that could affect GI transit and motility
- Use with caution in patients with active gastrointestinal conditions such as gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD), ulcers, or heartburn
- The overall incidence of AEs in the Plenity group was no different than the placebo group
- The most common side effects were diarrhea, distended abdomen, infrequent bowel movements, and flatulence.
Rx Only. For the safe and proper use of Plenity, refer to the Physician Instructions for Use.