New Dietary Guidelines Released 1-31-2011Posted: Jan 31 in Health And Wellness, Nutrition, Weight Management Strategies by Dr. Lazarus
Americans need to cut salt and fat and eat more fruits and vegetables, the Obama administration said in its latest set of dietary guidelines released on Monday.
The new dietary guidelines also advise cutting out sugary drinks and drinking water instead, and eating less overall.
Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack released the guidelines, saying Americans are too fat. More than one-third of children and two-thirds of adults in the United States are overweight or obese.
Some of the tips:
* Enjoy your food but eat less.
* Avoid oversized portions.
* Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
* Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1 percent) milk.
* Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread and frozen meals and choose the foods with lower numbers.
* Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
The new guidelines can be found here.