Adding Variety to your DietPosted: Mar 09 in Nutrition by Staff
You may already know it is important to change your eating habits. To lose weight you will need to adjust what you eat and pay close attention to portion control. You will also want to eliminate sugary, fatty or greasy foods from your diet. But successful weight loss is not just about diet restrictions and eating less. In fact, when it comes to your diet, there are some foods that you should be eating more!
Here are a few healthy foods that you can think about adding to your diet as you lose weight:
- Beans and lentils. From protein and fiber to complex carbs and iron, beans and lentils pack a serious nutritional punch. Add them to soups and salads, or turn them into a fresh veggie dip.
- Canned tomatoes. While it’s hard to beat fresh vegetables, in the case of tomatoes, cooking them releases lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that helps prevent cancer. Stock up on canned tomatoes (check the label to be sure no sodium has been added) and throw them into your favorite homemade salsas, tomato sauce, soups and casserole dishes.
- Plain, nonfat Greek yogurt. Like all yogurts, Greek yogurt is an excellent source of calcium, minerals and vitamins. But where other yogurts are filled with sugars and sweeteners, Greek yogurt keeps it all natural, and has twice the protein of other yogurts.
- Red cabbage. Whether you eat it raw or cooked, on its own or in soups and salads, red cabbage packs a powerful, nutrient rich punch – and one cup of chopped cabbage is only 22 calories!
- Sweet potatoes. These nutritional all-stars are packed with fiber, beta carotene, and Vitamin C. Skip the butter toppings and enjoy yours baked with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Watermelon. Everyone’s favorite summertime fruit gets a bad rap for being sweet. Not fair, say nutritional experts, who love watermelon’s high fiber and vitamin count. And its high water content will keep you hydrated on a hot summer day.
Eating these power foods will give your body the vital nutrients it needs – without excess fats and sugars – and help make your weight loss program a success!