Orange-Herbed Pork Roast RecipePosted: Oct 06 in Recipes by Staff
Now is the Season to use the Crock Pot!
- 1 pork sirloin roast, 2-3 pounds
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp. finely shredded orange peel
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Trim fat from pork roast. If necessary, cut roast to fit into crock pot
- Combine garlic powder, ginger, thyme & pepper.
- Rub spice mixture over entire surface of meat with your fingers.
- In a large skillet, brown roast in hot oil. Drain.
- Transfer meat to crock pot. Combine chicken broth, sugar, lemon juice, soy sauce and orange peel; pour over roast.
- Cover, cook on low-heat setting for 8-10 hours or on high heat setting for 4-5 hours.
- Transfer roast to serving platter. For the sauce, pour juices into glass measuring cup. Skim fat. If necessary, add water equal to 2 cups. Transfer the sauce to a saucepan. Combine cornstarch and orange juice in saucepan. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. If desired, season to taste. Pass sauce with meat.
Makes 8 servings
Per Serving: 197 calories, 29 grams protein, 8 grams carbohydrate, 6 grams fat, 78 mg cholesterol, 224 mg sodicum, 446 mg potassium
-Recipe courtesy of Mary Ellen Doukakis, RDN