Zucchini SoupPosted: Oct 01 in Recipes, Weight Management Strategies by Dr. Lazarus
Here is a tasty way to add more vegetables to your diet and take advantage of the seasonal local produce. This simple recipe is an old family favorite that has been modified to offer a lower fat, nutrient and fiber rich addition to your table.
- 1 lb. lean Italian turkey sausage
- 2 c. chopped celery
- 2 lb. chopped zucchini (washed and trimmed, not peeled)
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic (or 1-2 tsp. minced prepared garlic)
- 2 chopped green peppers, seeds removed
- 3 (28oz.) canned tomatoes (crushed, diced or stewed)*
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. basil
*no salt added tomatoes can be used to lower the sodium content; season to taste.
Brown turkey sausage and cook thoroughly; drain fat. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer for 30-45 minutes. Makes 4 quarts. Freezes well.
Per 1 1/2 c. serving: 160 calories, 3.8 g. fat, 1 g. saturated fat, 23 mg. cholesterol, 637 mg. sodium, 20 g. carbohydrate, 8 g. fiber, 12 g. protein.
Enjoy! Liz Hurst, RD