Stress and Weight Gain by Lisa Ininns, RDPosted: Jul 16 in Health And Wellness, Weight Management Strategies by Aimee
Extensive research has been done on the association between stress and weight gain and on the hormone cortisol, which may be released in response to stress and can cause abdominal weight gain. There is a link between chronic stress (such as that experienced in our workplaces), and the obesity epidemic.
Be proactive and combat this stress by starting with some self-care and relaxation rituals such as the following:
- Exercise of any type
- Try a Pilates or yoga class
- Massage, facial, manicure, pedicure
- Take a relaxing shower or bath with bubbles
- Take the dog for a long walk
- Read a good book and put yourself in a different world to relax your mind after a stressful day
- Knit or crochet or take a class to learn how!
- Watch a movie one night a week…another great escape to relax your mind
- Get together with your friends for bridge, bunko or book club and share stories or just vent. BUT… remember to watch what you eat and drink!